The Arnold P. Gold Foundation works with healthcare professionals in training, and in practice, to instill a culture of respect, dignity and compassion for patients and professionals. Humanistic medical care is not simply compassion. It is the best of medicine. Studies reveal more appropriate medical decisions, better patient adherence with treatment plans, and less costly healthcare outcomes are attributed to skilled physicians who build caring, trusting and collaborative relationships with patients. This sounds very similar to what A.T. Still invisioned when he build the founding tenants of osteopathic medicine.
The American Osteopathic College of Anesthesiologists (AOCA) would like to thank The Arnold P. Gold Foundation for its continued support of our dedicated and compassionate DO’s. The recognition that our members adhere to the principles of improving the relationships with their patients is a validation of the ethos they bring to the table.
Humanism in medicine describes relationships between physicians and their patients that are respectful and compassionate. It is reflected in attitudes and behaviors that are sensitive to the values, autonomy, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of others.
The Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Awards are presented to a practicing physician based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrates compassion and empathy in the delivery of patient care
- Displays competence in scientific endeavors
- Shows respect for patients, families and co-workers
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity in working with patients and family members of diverse backgrounds
- Displays effective, empathetic communication and listening skills
- Understands a patient’s need for interpretation of complex medical diagnoses and treatments and makes an effort to ensure patient comprehension
- Understands and shows respect for the patient’s viewpoint
- Is sensitive to the patient’s psychological well-being; and identifies emotional concerns of patients and family members
- Engenders trust and confidence
For more information, Grants, and Scholarships from the Arnold P. Gold Foundation, click here.